Adapted from: http://pointlessmeals.blogspot.com/2012/06/pepper-onion-and-sausage-calzones.html
- 1 lb.pizza dough
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 lb. homemade beef pan sausage
- 2 c. pizza sauce, divided
- 1-⅓ c. part- skim shredded mozzarella
Brown sausage with peppers and onions; drain. Stir in 1-¾ c. pizza sauce.
Divide bread dough into 8 equal sections; roll each section into a circle about 8″ in diameter. Place sausage mixture in the center of each circle. Top with equal amounts of cheese. Fold dough over and seal by crimping with a fork.
Place calzones on baking sheets coated with nonstick spray. Spray calzones.
Bake at 500 degrees for 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with extra pizza sauce if desired.